This user has mostly submitted to the following subverses (showing top 5):
12 submissions to IdiotExchange
3 submissions to AskVoat
1 submissions to gaming
1 submissions to investing
1 submissions to news
This user has so far shared a total of 15 links, started a total of 3 discussions and submitted a total of 313 comments.
Submissions: This user has upvoted 95 and downvoted 97 submissions.
Comments: This user has upvoted 170 and downvoted 85 comments.
5 highest rated submissions:
Net Neutrality repealed 3-2, submitted: 12/14/2017 9:36:09 PM, 40 points (+40|-0)
OpenRA is an FOSS project that can play Red Alert, Tiberian Dawn and Dune 2000 (also Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 through mods), submitted: 3/2/2019 6:42:47 PM, 9 points (+9|-0)
My son embarrassed me in front of my coworkers; how should I react to provocations?, submitted: 1/27/2019 2:31:15 PM, 7 points (+7|-0)
(US) Is there any way to stop junk paper mail?, submitted: 12/14/2017 10:45:48 PM, 6 points (+6|-0)
My sugar momma wants to pay my bills! Is it a scam?, submitted: 1/24/2019 7:16:48 PM, 5 points (+5|-0)
5 lowest rated submissions:
What's the deal with fluxusp?, submitted: 4/12/2019 7:43:49 PM, -1 points (+2|-3)
Tech analyst Benedict Evans claims that there is no tech bubble, based on analysis of market statistics (slideshow), submitted: 6/17/2015 10:35:10 PM, 1 points (+1|-0)
59 votes: Guy under me underperforming due to religious fasting, what do I do?, submitted: 1/31/2019 3:02:34 PM, 2 points (+2|-0)
46 votes: Am I conveying disrespect if I omit my gender pronoun from a conference nametag?, submitted: 1/31/2019 3:04:11 PM, 2 points (+2|-0)
21 votes: My job is to send people technical texts, but they don't want to read them!, submitted: 1/31/2019 3:04:57 PM, 2 points (+2|-0)
3 highest rated comments:
Wharleas 0 points 48 points 48 points (+48|-0) ago
The only way this could come as a surprise is if you've never played a d20 system or even glanced at the books. As far back as 3rd ed there were attempts to get women, non-roleplayers, even non-gamers into the game. By 3.5e it was in full swing.
- Making DMs in vignettes randomly be "she" for no reason
- Generic character and plot concepts that don't call back to sword&sorcery or high fantasy classics
- When drawing gamers or discussing OOC situations, everyone is a diverse, well-dressed normie with "hip" clothes; not a single fat nerd sporting glasses and neckbeard in sight; always 50% women, 25% black, 25% asian, 25% brown
- Fantasy settings always implicitly follow modern norms like gender equality and multiculti
- 4e was infamous for catering to WoW players, they literally built the whole system around character roles of WoW's meta, broke continuity with past eds to attract people who don't know shit about fantasy beyond muh wow
- 5e is grossly simplified as if they're expecting the player to get bored and walk away at the slightest hint of adding some numbers together
For WotC this is obviously a good business move because they want to broaden their audience, and also cater more to dumb customers who don't have to be educated in fantasy lore before they can start paying money for the books. And admittedly even 5e is pretty fun, although I'd prefer 3.5 (or even better, Pathfinder). But it's a typical case of a once legendary niche company turning into a mediocre mainstream company in the quest (hah) for profit. These days, if you try to find a random DnD group at your local game store, you get a rainbow of snowflake personalities (as well as a literal rainbow of hair colors). And guess what, the only people who will actually care about the game and play properly (as in learn the rules and not just ask other people to do everything for them), instead of going through the motions of being "such a nerd, xD", will be some combination of straight, fat, white, badly dressed, ungroomed and autistic. Not saying this to diss on anyone (I fit many of these myself and I'm happy to play with other people who do), my point is that DnD has a very defined core audience that are actually interested in it. It's sad to see WotC constantly act like they don't exist, and instead perpetuate a fantasy of "normal" people playing their games. Normals will never have interest in this shit, the only way they'll pay for it is when it becomes a temporary flavor of the month fad and people buy it for the status symbolism/conspicuous consumption. But when the fad inevitably dies, good luck crawling back to your core base with your tail between your legs.
Wharleas 0 points 36 points 36 points (+36|-0) ago
We are approaching virtue signalling levels never before thought possible... The SJWism is so dense, it's folding in on itself.
Wharleas 1 points 24 points 25 points (+25|-1) ago
There's an occasional one that's not bad. I don't know if I've ever seen any truly hilarious ones, maybe a particularly good quip here and there but not consistently amazing. I think what works for them is when they work really hard on the material, and come up with humor that has actual depth as opposed to low hanging fruit.
- Their referential humor sucks because women consume shit media
- Self-deprecation as comedy doesn't work because attractive ones have nothing to complain about and ugly ones still have enormous egos so they just come across as entitled. Amy Schumer is particularly bad about this because she tries to make fun of how trashy she is, but it's all humble brags about how sexually active she is and how she sleeps with lots of attractive people, meanwhile she literally looks and sounds like Miss Piggy on a power trip, so she is just utterly unrelatable except to other brainless millenial women like her.
- Shock comedy also falls flat because women cannot give up their typical expectation of being treated like royalty. Men often seek out shock as a masochistic pleasure, so some can come up with truly, ridiculously shocking things. Women with a princess complex avoid exposure to shock, as a result what's shocking to them is trivial, boring and/or petty to a comedy audience familiar with male comedy.
When an attractive woman tells a joke, the natural reaction is to pretend it was the most hilarious, cleverest thing ever so that she will like it and want to sleep with you. Even other women will sometimes do this because they want to have attractive friends and be attractive by association. So they can get a lot of laughs despite shit material in person. Even in small comedy shows with a few dozen people this effect probably works. But when you pass the critical point and do more impersonal shows, like auditoriums with thousands of people or televised performances, you are suddenly judged purely on the quality of your work, which is how you get Amy Schumer and others who seem bizarrely overconfident for how shit their material is.
Whenever I see a woman not be godawful at comedy, it's usually because they avoid the trap of relying on one of the above shortcuts, and instead put work into making comedy that is genuinely funny on its own. An example I could give is this bit from QI - I'm not familiar with either of these women, nor do I think the jokes in this vid are incredibly funny, but I think they avoid all the common failings above and are definitely not cringe as a result. And that despite the topic being a dead horse.
3 lowest rated comments:
Wharleas 5 points -5 points 0 points (+0|-5) ago
Ugh, whore collars...
Wharleas 1 points -1 points 0 points (+0|-1) ago
I don't do drugs but I enjoy this song. Both because catharsis and musically it's pretty sweet.
Wharleas 1 points -1 points 0 points (+0|-1) ago
What's funny about this post is that you know you're just tailgating people to be a dick, so you're coming up with these lies to make yourself look sympathetic to us. "Too nice a driver", yeah right.
For instance you pretend to be concerned about safety, but you're the one who follows too closely such that you wouldn't be able to avoid a crash if the car in front had to suddenly stop.
You need to relax and accept that sometimes people won't go as fast as you want, and in most places this is legal. You have the option of lobbying for minimum speeds, or simply avoiding roads with no passing lanes. By the way, many people will respond to tailgating by slowing down even more until you back off, and usually in the event of an accident the rear car will be found at fault, since they made the decisions to follow too closely.